Develop a new type of a defibrillator.
For the Russian medical market.
Ambulances, hospitals. Indoor and outdoor usage. Device must comply with IP56 specification and regulations for medical equipment in the Russian Federation.
Plastic injection molding for housing, silicone forming for keypad, and aluminum\steel CNC milling for additional chassis parts.
SMIRNOV DESIGN TEAM
Sergey Smirnov, Sergio Slaykhov,
Ivan Lipkov, Ivan Antonov
SMIRNOV DESIGN TECHNICAL TEAM
Sergey Romanov, Mikhail Oleynikov
MY PART OF THE TEAMWORK
I was involved in the design research and strategy. Initial prototyping was completely my responsibility. Each designer made a proposal for final styling then we worked together on the chosen version.
The most exiting part in this project was the design research. First we disassembled a previously manufactured model to start from. It had a very complicated chassis. Moreover, it was extremely expensive to manufacture, so it was even more interesting to work with. Here is the shortlist of some weaknesses: Complicated chassis; expensive molds with lots of moving parts; electrod placement is non-ergonomic; complicated package; battery is inaccessible to the user, unreliable mounting in the ambulance; uninformative user interface; over-sized zipper bag; brittle body housing.
The model to improve.
We made different types of interviews with doctors and explored ambulances and hospitas.
Below are some slides with the design research results.
DESIGN STRATEGY IDEATION
Here is the result of the design research. It’s a sequence that shows each technical requirements we have developed step by step. Finally the end of the sequence is a complete scheme for further CAD development.
Based on the result of the sequence we started to generate several styling proposals. On the left you can see a board with the competitors. We researched all leading-edge devices on medical market. It was very important to understand procedures in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) process.
Based on the result of the design research we started to generate several styling proposals. Here are three of them. With different further directions: “Classic”, ”Evolution”, and ”Revolution”. They were presented to the customer for approval. The customer was very progressive, so he chose the most progressive direction (Revolution). Actually, it’s a very unexpected choice for a conservative medical market's environment.
In further development we changed the screen size and the buttons packaging. Then we mixed the evolution and the revolution styling directions to achieve the final result.
CLASSIC There is no aggressive styling. Housing has a smooth shape and rounded corners. Buttons are bigger than on other proposals, however they are square shaped. They are put inside in order to prevent pressing
EVOLUTION There is a curved holder. The chamfer is going through the body. The hole control panel is moved inside, however buttons are thick.
REVOLUTION The holder has a rigid and aggressive look as well as the overall styling. Buttons are shaped differently. Housing has a more complex shape comparing to other proposals.
Based on the approved styling and packaging proposals we started to make technical development. In cooperation with our engineering department we made further technical CAD model based on a previous surface model which was made by our design team. It’s full of ribs, holes, screw bossed etc. and equipped with a complete package.
COMPLETE CAD MODEL
Main render of the final production model. Electrode’s lock is colored in red. User interface is fully updated.
Three essential operation zones are divided by three differently colored buttons.
Main controls are duplicated on the electrodes due to emergency usage. In case of immediate assistance doctor can easily access them.
Usually doctors carry a lot of medical equipment on them. So we decided to make additional shoulder straps. We made a defibrillator that a doctor can carry like a backpack.
However the production model has some changes that we could not control during the last phase of
pre-production. However, the overall model is the same as we wanted to be.